GIANT SCHOONER ATHOS RIGGED BY SMARTRIGGING
On Wednesday April 21st 2010, the two carbon fibre masts of giant schooner Athos were stepped and supplied with SmartRigging PBO. The event took place in the early morning at Holland Jachtbouw in Zaandam, just above Amsterdam/Netherlands. By the end of the afternoon, the 203ft privately owned cruising yacht, designed by Andre Hoek, was ready for the first trimming session.
“We designed the standing rigging for Athos, which is all custom made”, explains Constantijn Weber from Joure (Netherlands) based SmartRigging. “Rod rigging is the standard for this segment. However, we supplied her with lightweight composite rigging, normally used for racing yachts. It is approximately eighty percent lighter than stainless steel, which makes it interesting for a 62 meter long schooner as Athos.”
Weber about the process: “We use a high quality production technique, called endless winding, optimized by us. It allows us to work very precisely. We put the same amount of tension on all fibres to stretch them equally, which results in low stretch and a long life span.”
Designing the standing rigging for 203ft Athos was not a usual challenge for SmartRigging. Weber: “No, the biggest yacht we have done before was 32 meter long. The engineering work took up most of the time, as everything needs to fit at once. We can’t make any mistakes, because that means you can start all over again. It is impossible to adjust the rigging length as soon as it is produced.” Walking onboard of the Dutch schooner he smiles: “Fortunately, we succeeded.”
Athos & SmartRigging in facts
Athos is the largest two-mast schooner ever built. She is designed by Andre Hoek and built by Holland Jachtbouw. The carbon masts are manufactured by Rondal and the standing rigging by SmartRigging. She carries the biggest lightweight rigging package yet supplied in the world. Compared to rod rigging, it saves the weight of four Mini Cooper cars at the height of the first spreader. A total of 5.500 kilometres of fibre has been used for the standing rigging.
For more pictures click here
Athos in figures
LOA – 62 m
Beam – 10.88 m
Draft – 3.52 m
Sail area – 1.899 square meters
Year - 2010
- first F-class FireFly soon rigged by SmartRigging with PBO
- Code1 anti torsion luff cable for 1900m2 Code1
- BMWORACLE takes it home !!
- SmartRigging and EasyRigging on display at Boot Dusseldorf
- Seasons Greetings by SmartRigging
- The Carbon Evolution, C-evo
- The New SIG 45 , with SmartRigging
- New GunBoat 66 sets sail, rigged by SmartRigging
- New X-65 equiped with SmartRigging IFS
- 8th Place for Shamoun at the Super Yacht Cup '09
- Congratulations Shamoun !!
- Innovation in production
- VOR update Team Puma
- PUMA finishes second in Cape Town
- SmartRigging supllied total PBO rigging for 'Shamoun'
- Gunboat 62, 66 & 90, total PBO SmartRigging
- Team PUMA, Volvo Ocean Race 2008
- SmartRigging to supply all PBO rigging for 'Athos'
- Congratulations to WestMarine Rigging.
- Marström expands business with SmartRigging.
- A revolution in rigging is here!
- Sail Faster with EasyRigging